MT-AAS - Mechanical Engineering Technology
Official Name of Program
Department(s) Sponsoring Program
NYSED Program Code
The Mechanical Engineering Technology program is accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET (ETAC of ABET). Additional information on ETAC of ABET can be found at http://www.abet.org.
EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES FOR THE A.A.S. IN MECHANICAL ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY
Graduates of the program will be prepared for the following career and professional accomplishments during the first three to five years following graduation:
1. Career Preparation and Advancement – Graduates will demonstrate mastery of the knowledge and skills needed for entry into or advancement in the field of Mechanical Engineering Technology.
2. Engineering Competence – Graduates will be competent technicians with problem solving and design skills, and have the ability to apply mathematics, science and modern engineering software to solve mechanical engineering technology problems.
3. Professional Skills – Graduates will have strong commu-nication skills, and the ability to work successfully in teams in industry.
4. College Transfer – Graduates will meet the requirements for transfer into the junior year of a baccalaureate program in engineering technology.
5. Well-rounded Education – Graduates will demonstrate respect for diversity and knowledge of contemporary professional, societal, ethical, and global issues, and they will engage in life-long learning.
Engineering Technicians play an important role in a variety of fields, such as the space program, missile development, and the design and operation of power plants, air and water pollution control, aircraft, automotive and high speed railway equipment development, air conditioning, instrumentation, and in the burgeoning fields of automation, computer numerical control, robotics and integrated manufacturing systems. Many experienced mechanical engineering technicians assume positions in operations and management of industrial enterprises. Mechanical Engineering Technology offers rewarding career opportunities with well known companies. The Department maintains a job placement service for students. The equipment available to students is identical to that in industry. The college laboratories include manufacturing processes, thermo fluids, strength of materials and four computer graphics labs.
The A.A.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology is equivalent to the first two years of study for the Bachelor of Engineering Technology program of New York City College of Technology. Graduates of the Mechanical Engineering Technology program are eligible to apply for advanced standing to New York City College of Technology, with no loss of credit. Other colleges offer graduates of this program transfer credit into Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering degree programs. Students may inquire in the Engineering Technology (T-20) office for further information.